Set up Ring video doorbell : Latest edition guide
The process to set up Ring video doorbell is not like a regular doorbell – it does not require wiring your existing system. Basically, to set up Ring video doorbell, one do not need advance tech knowledge, so it is also called DIY set up. Installation and set up of Ring Video Doorbell is relatively quick and easy, as it involves screwing into a bracket and then connecting it to your Ring App. To perform the installation and setup of Ring doorbell, select the appropriate place to put up brackets for good area coverage as this is the most important factor. Second you need good network to keep it connected with your Phone Ring App for 24/7 connectivity. We are going to discuss the important things that you need to know for proper installation and set up of your Ring video doorbell. If you have already tried everything and still need help please speak to Ring video doorbell support
Let’s Get Started: Set Up Ring Video Doorbell
To install and then set up Ring video doorbell is an effortless process. If you freshly got this smart video doorbell, check the steps below to make the device operate properly. All you need is the doorbell security system itself, a smartphone, and a Wi-Fi connection. Please ensure you have good wi-fi signal strength where you want to install the doorbell. We recommend using wi-fi range extenders in case of poor network. You can also have a look at the Ring doorbell setup guide images here to know more. Lets walk you through the basic steps to Set Up Ring Video Doorbell
How to Set up Ring video doorbell: Quick process overview
Install App for Ring Doorbell:
Unlike most other devices, which need to be installed first and then the application setup is final, ring doorbell is another method. You must first set the ring doorbell using the app, which is available for iOS and Android. If you are going to reuse the Ring doorbell after a gap , make sure you have the updated version of Ring app on your phone or tablet before you begin to set up ring video doorbell. Download the Ring App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store by searching for Ring Video Doorbell. Install the App and accept to give give required permissions as asked by the App during installation process. Launch the app and click on the Setup Device button to start the Set up Ring video doorbell. Find detailed instructions on how to install a Ring doorbell .
The steps to set up ring video doorbell includes, Install Ring app and connect device with network via App, then install the doorbell on the wall and ensure good wifi signal for good connectivity.
Follow this Manual Guide: When you Set up Ring video doorbell
Creating a Ring account
To set up Ring video doorbell you would require a Ring account before hand, as your device will be accessible via App or account only. You can create account using the computer by going to this Ring account creation webpage ( click to open link). But here we are going to discuss about account creation and Ring doorbell setup via App, So open app and it will take you yo login screen, click create new account on the bottom. Then follow the on-screen guidance to create a new account. This includes entering your first and last name, your country, email address and a password.
Once account is created , login and click on Add device
Select Your Ring Device OR Scan QR Code To Set Up Ring Doorbell
After you create the account, Ring App will give you the on screen option to add device. The first option is to select your device type, so select the Ring device you are setting up, which will be a video doorbell here.
You can also locate the QR code in the Quick Start Guide that came with the ring device. Scan the the Code now and when the green line or green box appears above or around the code, you can proceed to the next step.
(NOTE: You can give a name to your ring doorbell by a tap on “Custom”)
Allow Your Location:
If this is your first time installing a ring device, you will get a notification from your phone that the Ring app wants to use your phone’s location services to indicate your location. Allowing the application to do this will help input your address. You need to allow this and also allow any other permission the App asks to function properly on your phone.
Turn on the Setup Mode:
Now it’s time to put your ring doorbell into setup mode. To perform this, press and release the orange button on the back of your ring video doorbell. When there is a white light in front of your ring video doorbell, hit on the “Continue” button in your ring app.
Connect Your Phone with Ring Wi-Fi Network:
If you are an IOS user, on IOS devices, go to Settings and then click on Wi-Fi and then tap on Ring Wi-Fi Network, connect your device to Ring network now.
If you’re using Android, swipe down from the top of your screen, tap Wi-Fi, then tap Ring Wi-Fi Network. You will see Ring network and connect to this network. You need to connect your access device which is your phone to the ring network.
Connect Your Device to Wi-Fi:
Once you are connected to the access device or phone device to the Ring network, go back to the Ring application. Now here it will give you the option to connect to to wireless network, and you need to select your home Wi-Fi network from the list and enter the password. It may take some time to connect to your home Wi-Fi network, depending on your network strength and stability, so wait for the device to configure network settings . Now the basic set up of your Ring video doorbell is complete, where your device is hooked up to the wifi or network via Ring App. Follow the steps given next for installing the Ring doorbell now to complete the set up of your doorbell. Access the link given above for complete guide or just follow the steps give in the next section.
Installation of Ring video Doorbell:
- After the ring doorbell setup is done via Ring App, you must install the device on the wall and position it, so that you can start using it to receive alerts and record videos.
- You can start by removing the orange sticker covering the mounting plate. Then place the mounting plate on the wall where you want the ring doorbell. Use the level too to properly align your device and it is recommended to put it 4 ft above the ground level for better view. This is technically the later part For the Ring video doorbell set up, it equally matters to position your doorbell perfectly.
- Connect the plate to the wall using the screws provided using your power drill. Tighten the screws properly and put the face plate back on now.
- Now, this is good, and now you can start using your ring doorbell. From here you can start the customization of settings and features of your Ring video doorbell.
Instructions & Process to set up Ring video doorbell on IOS device
To Set up Ring Doorbell: Guide For IOS Users:
To set up Ring video Doorbell Wi-Fi Setup
1. Download the Ring App and create account. Select the device you want to set up as Ring video doorbell.
2.On your Ring App now you will see the prompt to put the device into setup mode. Now press the orange button located on the back of the device. You will see the “LED ring spin white” on the front of your Ring Video Doorbell, means device is in setup mode. Refer the picture given below
3. When prompted go to your device wifi settings and connect to the temporary network that starts with Ring-*****. Once connected to the Ring network, lets return to the Ring app and select Continue and now connect to your home network. The device once connected would launch firmware update if available.
Set Up Ring video doorbell : Android device
The entire process remains same with the Android device as given above, and in the 3rd step you don’t have to connect manually to ring network, it connects automatically and you can proceed with accepting a call. However if the Ring doorbell fails to connect please try below given steps to setup ring video doorbell on your Android device.
1.Before you try to reconnect or retry Wi-Fi setup, please go to the Wi-Fi Settings screen on your Android device. This your phone or tablet settings
2. Find the list of available Wi-Fi networks that your Android device can connect with and if you see a network labeled Ring-xxxxxx, click on the network and when prompted, choose Forget Network.
3. Now Go to the Advanced Wi-Fi Settings screen and lets try to locate the option Scanning Always Available. Please make sure this
option status is turned Off.
4. Now please find the option labeled: Auto Switch to Mobile Network. Make sure this option is On. Try reconnecting and it should work just fine and proceed with reset of the setup process for your Doorbell.
Accepting a call : Set up Ring doorbell tips
Now when your are done with the basic setup of Ring video doorbell lets start using it or test to see if it is working properly or no? Your Ring doorbell and the Ring App must communicate real time and should let you accept call from the visitor on your mobile device. Here is the process to test or check and see if the doorbell setup is okay and performing as intended.
1: Lets begin by Pressing the front button on the Ring Video Doorbell and LED Ring will spin blue. It means your doorbell is connecting to your phone now.
2 : You will receive a notification on the phone, click on the notification and it should take you to Ring App and you will be able to see the live view. Now the doorbell has successfully notified and processed the live feed to your access device.
3: when you see the live video feed, it will show you the call screen option to accept or decline the call. Press the Accept button to answer the call and you will have the live view and can talk to the visitor. However, if you press decline button, the visitor will not know you chose to decline the call. This completes your basic setup and establishes device communication with your Ring app.
Now lets Test the Audio :Test the Ring Video Doorbell’s audio at a distance from the doorbell to avoid feedback or take the help of a family member to test voice/audio.
MOTION DETECTION: Set up Ring Video Doorbell
Motion detection is one the important setting after you are done with basic set up of Ring doorbell as it can give you correct notification and avoid unnecessary alerts being generated by camera after picking up motion.
1: To access the Motion Detection Settings, launch Ring App and go to the Device Dashboard and then click on Motion Settings.
2: Now you need to Select Zones and Range to specify the detected locations and distance of all motion events only for the zones that are enabled.
3: Select Smart Alert repeated or continuous motion or something that happens regularly in the view area of Doorbell (e.g. kids are playing).
VIDEO CLOUD RECORDING FOR RING DOORBELL
You may like to store the video recordings from your Ring Doorbell for that specific times, and lets see how you can enable this option. With the first time setup of Ring Video Doorbell, customers enjoys a one month free trial of Cloud Video Recording with their purchase. Once the free trial ends, you’ll be able to enjoy 6 months of recordings for just $3/month or $30/annually. Remember to opt out if you don’t need this. It is end users choice to opt in or no however, the user can always access the videos from the phone or access device anytime.
You can view your Ring Video Doorbell recordings directly from your Ring App (iOS or Android by clicking on the chevron symbol (>) next to each individual event. You can download recordings in Mp4 format directly to your phone to share with your friends and family, and keep an important one safe on your phone computer or disk drive. It is entirely upto the customer to decide if the paid cloud video recording is required or no.
Common Issues With Ring video Doorbell Setup
What to Do if Ring Video Doorbell Pro Goes Offline
Just like any other device that connects with network, it is possible that your Ring Video Doorbell Pro may also lose its connection to your Wifi network. Lets have a look, where and how the Ring Pro can lose its connection and what to do if this occurs. Generally when you are not able to communicate with doorbell through the app, it means it has gone offline but not every time it is a thing to worry about. If the set up of ring video doorbell has been performed well, it works well, lets see what can make it offline.
Troubleshooting the Ring doorbell pro offline
Once it is determined that wi-fi connectivity is the reason for device offline, try the following steps to set up ring video door bell again:
- First we need to check that all of your cables and wires are properly plugged in and that all the lights on the front of the router are green.
- Check to see if another wi-fi device on the same network is having a problem connecting to the network. If yes, troubleshoot to fix network problem first. Unplug your router for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. See if your Ring Doorbell automatically reconnects.
- Turn off the power to your Ring Pro at the breaker box for 30 seconds, then turn it back on. See if your Ring Doorbell automatically reconnects. Allow couple of minutes for your device to reconnect, if no proceed to next step
- Press the side button on the Ring Pro to put the device in Setup mode. Wait 10 seconds, then press it again and see if the set up Ring video doorbell resumes or Ring Doorbell automatically reconnects. If it fails change the channel number of your wifi to 11 on router settings page and try again.
- If all else fails, check to make sure your Ring Pro is getting sufficient power. if you fail to set up Ring video doorbell, talk to support for further diagnostics. You can also reset Ring doorbell to its factory settings, learn Ring doorbell reset process here
- Go near the doorbell and on your phone test the network speed at that location and also check the signal strength. Check the results and if your speed is very low the devices wont be able to sustain the connectivity, Make alternate arrangements to fix the network strength and speed and then try to set up Ring video doorbell again.
- If the network speed and signal strength is good, perform Ring doorbell factory reset, change your wireless password, power cycle your router and try to reconnect. If it again fails, there might be an issue with the doorbell software itself or network settings, and you need to talk to support for help. You can also look for Ring wireless troubleshooting guide here
Speak with support to set up Ring video doorbell & further help: +1 530-455-9395. To resolve problems with installation and set up of Ring video Doorbell you can also use the Ring support live chat support option.